Requirements for New and Remodeled Food Service Establishments

Fats, oils and grease (FOG) cause serious problems in the sanitary sewer system. FOG sticks to the walls of the pipes when poured down the drain and, over time, restricts the flow until a sewer stoppage or overflow occurs. These stoppages and overflows can create smelly, dirty messes, possibly damaging your business, property, and profits, as well as the environment.

What’s Required of My Food Service Establishment?

If you are constructing a new facility that serves food, such as a restaurant, sandwich shop, Salad/soup bar restaurant, commercial kitchen, catering facility, rest home cafeteria, (also known as food service establishments [FSEs]) or remodeling an existing FSE, there are requirements to be aware of before starting the project.

Does My FSE Require a Grease Trap, or a Grease Interceptor?

When FSEs cannot install a grease interceptor due to space limitations, utility line disruption or an inadequate slope of wastewater drainage, the FSE can request a variance from the building department or sewer agency. The building department or sewer agency will decide if factors exist that do not allow installation of a grease interceptor and may allow installation of another type of grease removal device, such as a grease trap. They must then sign the grease trap special agreement for a grease trap.

Once I’ve Collected My Grease, What Do I Do With It?

Use a West Virginia licensed grease waste hauler or recycler for servicing grease interceptors. CLICK HERE for a list of Beckley area licensed grease haulers and recyclers, refer to Selecting a Reputable Grease Haulers information sheet.

Got Questions? Contact Beckley Sanitary Board Today.